Sunday 26 September 2010

Eat, Pray, Love


This is my first ever post. Since I am such a big movie junkie, I thought why not write my own reviews and see if anyone cares about reading them?

So here comes my first ever review and I am afraid it isn't a positive one!! I will rate movies from 1 to 5. 5 being an excellent movie and 1 being not so good. If the movie is exceptionally bad then I may even go into the minus territory!! well my blog, my rules! ;-)


EAT, PRAY, LOVE. Rating: 1.5/5

I feel I may be a little bit generous here but I think this was slightly better than another horrible movie from this year (The Killers!).

Why the disappointment?: well, usually I find that if I go with very low expectation (especially if a movie has been receiving bad press), I tend to enjoy it. Well, this time, I was very disappointed. I haven't read the book so there isn't anyway I can compare it to that but if the book is anything like this movie then I am very confused as to why it was such a huge success?

Anyway, the story is simply this: (Spoilers alert ahead!!!): Julia Roberts character is in an unhappy marriage. She is so unsure about her husband that she cries every night in the bathroom and prays to God. I think her fear for her relationship came into play after she visited a fortune teller in Bali who told her that she will have 2 marriages. One long and one short...anyway, her husband tells her that he is thinking about going back to college to do masters and she flips out and decides that she doesn't want to be with him. Off she goes, falls in love with a random struggling actor (gorgeous James Franco plays the part). They have a fling, he introduces her to his guru's photo and says that one day he would like to go and visit her temple in India but he can't afford it (as he is a struggling actor). She is very aloof but somehow he falls in love with her. She isn't so sure and he says to her that if she does decide to stay with him then he promises to take her out to eat Indian food every night! BUT this isn't good enough for Julia's character because all she pines for is Italian food ...so off she goes and moves to Italy for 4 months where all she does is eat and eat and eat and does no sightseeing whatsoever. Makes friends with random Italians and a Swedish woman who are not interesting in the slightest.

Then she moves to India to the temple of the struggling actor's guru. She moans because she is bitten by mosquitos - after 4 months, another nutcase tells her one thing which isn't that difficult to figure out that she should move on from her divorce (she is the one who left her husband in the first place anyway...). Then she moves on to Bali, back to that fortune teller who doesn't recognise her. But finally he does and tells her that all he can teach her is that she should pray (whatever she learnt in India), and keep eating good food (ha!) and also if she wouldn't mind, could she also photocopy some stuff for him. So for 4 months this is all she does and then she binds the documents and gives them to the fortune teller who is very pleased.

Meanwhile, she has also met with another divorcee. He is Brazilian and we know he is easy going because he calls everyone "darling". He decides that he is in love with her but as her life is in NY and his in Bali, they should conduct a relationship in the middle and he suggests getting on a boat and going to an island near by (well it's convenient for him!)...she hesitates but in the end comes around. THE END.

It's also painfully slow and LONG movie. Goes on and on and on.


Anything positive in the movie?: Well, there is one thing. Italian food looks very good!

So should you watch it?: Well it's up to you but it's really waste of time and money (me thinks!).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails